This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Abuse, Hate, Death, Suicide, Other

I'm thinking about coming out to my homophobic parents i'm Bi but I don't know what they'll say.

_Kai_ Β  Β 
Harper
Message added by Harper,

Please keep this thread to support-based messages.Β 

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Other

Click this notice to reveal the content.

Β 

Just now, JayJay11 said:

thx but thats the problem he knew I was asking for advise

to my step older cousin thats bi but then my dad's girlfriend's gay friend heard us and told my dad's girlfriend and she told my dad and we had a very akward talk in the car he was saying that Im still not ready to be making those decsions and when I had 18 I could do anything I want with my life he isnt homophobic but then he says that im a straight man with balls and I cant change that till im 18 and tell me that dosen't sound kinda homophobic

Just now, JayJay11 said:

Β 

he kinda thinks that I listen to him about being straight till im mature enough to say the oposite but practicly everyone knows im bi besides my family ecxept for my big and little step sisters and my little bro and my step cousin

and srry if I misspell anything, english isnt my best talked language

Hey I'm Emma

My mum is also religious and thinks that LGBTQ+ is a phase. I've half come out and told her that I don't think I'm straight but I think I'm bi. If you're ready but only if you're ready, maybe try explaining to them what LGBTQ+ is and what it means to be bisexual. If they seem supportive and ok, slowly, over time, take things a bit furthur and talk more untill you feel ready. Remember, things like this take time and keep telling them how god made everyone unique, special, and everyone should be loved for who thy are not who they love.

Hope this helped! x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayJay11 said:

thx but thats the problem he knew I was asking for advise

oof was he mad at you?

1 hour ago, JayJay11 said:

kinda yeah but mostly cause I dint ask him for advise

oh that cant be that bad

I'm BACK!!! Kind of...I'm not going to be very active for the next month or so, but I'm trying! Seems like I missed a lot

• Ditch the Label Staff
8 hours ago, Emberfrost12 said:

I'm BACK!!! Kind of...I'm not going to be very active for the next month or so, but I'm trying! Seems like I missed a lot

Good to see you!Β πŸ™‚

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

Oml I found my now fav flags on hereΒ πŸ‘Β πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈΒ πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆΒ  Β 

(When I'm texting I don't have these flags so this is amazing to have em on here)

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 4:24 AM, Blondie said:

Good to see you!Β πŸ™‚

Turns out I'm more active than I thought I would be, heh

• Like 1

This is so sad to hear! All my dad dose is quote Robin Williams on the topic. But a kid in my class said the same thing your dad said. I don't understand this all! LOVE IS LOVE AND YOU ARE WHO YOU ARE WHO YOU ARE! IT IS YOUR CHOICE (or is a choice, no, it's more of a sub conscience thing for me) So PEOPLE NEED TO CUT THIS OUT AND ACCEPT THIS. The human race has come so far in equality, so why stop now.Β  Black white, male female, gay strait and all in between, we are all people just trying to get through life

• Like 2

Ikr @vega!

Like I don't understand why we all just can't get along, whether its race, religion, or sexuality we should just accept people for who they are and want to be. I don't get why we have to live up to other peoples standards just because they or our parents say so.

• Like 3

• Digital Mentor
56 minutes ago, Chama said:

I also wanna come out to my mom..πŸ˜₯ i have only my mom

Hi there, I'm Aurora, I'm one of the Support Mentors here at Ditch the Label. We're here for you so please let me know if you want some support around this,Β 

Staff-Account.png

Monsoon
This post was recognized by Monsoon!

"Such a helpful message :)"

RedRobin was awarded the badge 'Act of Kindness'

Don’t freak out, it can be super overwhelming when you realize you weren’t as straight as you once thought. Your best friend will probably be super happy that you’re also bi. When I came out as pan to my best friend, she then came out as bi and we were probably the happiest people in that school for the next week. Parents are more open minded when it comes to their kids, so just keep in mind that they might need some time to adjust depending on how they always thought about the LGBTQIA+ community but my homophobic Christian parents came around in a week. I told them and they said okay and then sent me out of the room to talk. A week later, they pulled me aside at a party to tell me they accepted and supported me. And side note here: You aren’t required to tell anyone. You can stay closeted as long as you need to become comfortable with the labels you’ve chosen for yourself.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RedRobin said:

Don’t freak out, it can be super overwhelming when you realize you weren’t as straight as you once thought. Your best friend will probably be super happy that you’re also bi. When I came out as pan to my best friend, she then came out as bi and we were probably the happiest people in that school for the next week. Parents are more open minded when it comes to their kids, so just keep in mind that they might need some time to adjust depending on how they always thought about the LGBTQIA+ community but my homophobic Christian parents came around in a week. I told them and they said okay and then sent me out of the room to talk. A week later, they pulled me aside at a party to tell me they accepted and supported me. And side note here: You aren’t required to tell anyone. You can stay closeted as long as you need to become comfortable with the labels you’ve chosen for yourself.

This is such good advice; thank you for sharing :)Β 

Also, generally for people, remember, it's really important to make sure it's safe before you come out, and if there's a chance you might be put in any danger, it's best to wait until you can be as safe as possible. This might mean waiting until you have moved out, and for some people, even living in a place where it's legal. Your safety is the most important thing.Β 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

• 5 weeks later...

just wanted to say that this thread has helped me a lot and i really appreciate everyone sharing their stories so thank you

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Noo I’m so sorry to hear that!!Β 
I really am sorry 😞 

Hope things get better if not now then in the future x

Edited by Pkelly

4 hours ago, _Karma_ said:

I came out a few months ago and I had a gf but we broke up :(

Oh, that sucks so much. I hope that you have better luck/(karma) in the future :)

• Pride 1

On 1/19/2022 at 3:03 PM, lKail said:

I don't know but they are pretty straight forward right now with the "no above the shoulders"

You know my friend before coming out of the closet as trans to their parents, he put his hair into a pony tail and hid it underneath a hat at school, have you tried doing that?

I could try yeah, mah b-day is soon so I'll ask for beanies. Thx for the tip @Pixie_the_confused_somethingπŸ‘πŸΌ

• Like 2