This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Disordered Eating

My parents bar me from having an advent calendar to watch my weight

lucysswag

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Disordered Eating

Click this notice to reveal the content.

It’s the first of December tomorrow, and asked my mum for an advent calendar, and she said no. She says that it’s bad for my health and I already ‘pig out everyday’. For context, last May I broke my foot whilst over-exercising trying to loose weight. I tried to tell mum and dad but they told me it’s normal. I’m a 14 year old girl and only 125 pounds but struggle with body image issues. That even my parents think I need to loose weight really upsets me, and I feel awful about when I binge eat. When I try to talk to them I apparently ‘twist it’ so I have no one to confide in. 

• Digital Mentor

14 hours ago, lucysswag said:

It’s the first of December tomorrow, and asked my mum for an advent calendar, and she said no. She says that it’s bad for my health and I already ‘pig out everyday’. For context, last May I broke my foot whilst over-exercising trying to loose weight. I tried to tell mum and dad but they told me it’s normal. I’m a 14 year old girl and only 125 pounds but struggle with body image issues. That even my parents think I need to loose weight really upsets me, and I feel awful about when I binge eat. When I try to talk to them I apparently ‘twist it’ so I have no one to confide in. 

Hello Lucy,

Thank you for telling us about this. It must be really tricky for you that your parents feel like you need to loose weight; I'm wondering, what other things have they said to you? I can really see why this upsets you; body image is really sensitive topic. I'm wondering, how long have you been feeling like this about your body/weight for? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

7 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hello Lucy,

Thank you for telling us about this. It must be really tricky for you that your parents feel like you need to loose weight; I'm wondering, what other things have they said to you? I can really see why this upsets you; body image is really sensitive topic. I'm wondering, how long have you been feeling like this about your body/weight for? 

They don’t directly say I should loose weight, but criticise how much I eat and if I haven’t exercised in a while. I’ve been feeling like this since January 2021

• Digital Mentor

15 hours ago, lucysswag said:

They don’t directly say I should loose weight, but criticise how much I eat and if I haven’t exercised in a while. I’ve been feeling like this since January 2021

Hey there,

Sorry to hear that they criticise how much you eat and if you don't exercise; how does that make you feel? I'm wondering, have you spoken to them about this? 

On 12/2/2021 at 8:40 AM, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Sorry to hear that they criticise how much you eat and if you don't exercise; how does that make you feel? I'm wondering, have you spoken to them about this? 

It just further proves how I feel about my body. When I did try to speak to them, they ‘threaten’ to take me to the GP which I say is what I want, but then they conveniently forget. They talk about how it affects them 

• Digital Mentor

Hey there,

Ah, it sounds like you're on different pages when it comes to helping you through this, and that you're not really feeling supported by them; is that fair to say? I'm wondering, does anyone else in your family know about this that might be able to have a chat with your parents?