Ask Me Anything: Liam Hackett, Ditch the Label CEO, Author and Activist

Liam Hackett    

Question

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hi everybody 👋🏼

So excited to be joining you on our Community. I've been wanting to do an AMA for sometime and now feels like the perfect time! A little about me: I'm the CEO here at Ditch the Label, I founded the organisation when I was 15. I was going through a tough time at school at the time and decided to start talking about it online and had a huge response which is where the inspiration for Ditch the Label came from. Now it's 15 years later and we're reaching millions of people each year.

Aside from Ditch the Label, I'm also the author of FEARLESS, dubbed as 'the bible for growing up'. The book covers a ton of issues, like mental health, relationships, bullying and stereotypes. 

So... I'm an open book! Ask me anything. Whether you're interested in my personal journey, want advice or have a completely unrelated question, leave them below and I'll be live on community throughout the day on Friday 12th November.

Liam 😃

• Like 5
  • Yaaas 2
  • Pride 1

Staff-Account.png.060e8e769a7369fee08ffdf79fb8fc2a.png

• Ditch the Label Staff

Thanks so much for all of your questions! I managed to get through most of them. Really enjoyed chatting and it's great to see how welcoming and vibrant our community is becoming. Thanks everyone and see you soon! 

Liam 😀

Hey! I have 2 questions!

1. What's the best / worst things about being the CEO? 🙂

2. Did you forgive the people who bullied you? If you did, how did you do it? I still sometimes get angry and sad at what people have said and done to me in the past.

• Like 4

• Ditch the Label Staff

This is an amazing opportunity for the community to get to know more about you, and why you’ve started up this fantastic charity.

I will punch in a question here - How have you found the experience of starting up this (IMHO) amazing charity, and is there anything you’d change about the journey so far over the years? 

• Like 1

Hi liam ^^

Ok my question is, what was your coming out experience like and when did you do it?

thank you 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Liam Hackett said:

Hi everybody 👋🏼

So excited to be joining you on our Community. I've been wanting to do an AMA for sometime and now feels like the perfect time! A little about me: I'm the CEO here at Ditch the Label, I founded the organisation when I was 15. I was going through a tough time at school at the time and decided to start talking about it online and had a huge response which is where the inspiration for Ditch the Label came from. Now it's 15 years later and we're reaching millions of people each year.

Aside from Ditch the Label, I'm also the author of FEARLESS, dubbed as 'the bible for growing up'. The book covers a ton of issues, like mental health, relationships, bullying and stereotypes. 

So... I'm an open book! Ask me anything. Whether you're interested in my personal journey, want advice or have a completely unrelated question, leave them below and I'll be live on community throughout the day on Friday 12th November.

Liam 😃

hey,

if you were to represent young people or adults, what would you make a change to in this world?

• Like 1

I have a few questions 1. Where did you come up with the name ditch the label 2. What is your favorite animal and 3. What kind of books do you like 

• Like 1

• Ditch the Label Staff
On 11/3/2021 at 2:31 PM, Daisie said:

This is an amazing opportunity for the community to get to know more about you, and why you’ve started up this fantastic charity.

I will punch in a question here - How have you found the experience of starting up this (IMHO) amazing charity, and is there anything you’d change about the journey so far over the years? 

Hey @Daisie, thank you! 

To be honest, it has been a rollercoaster. I first came up with the idea of DTL when I was 15. I started it seriously at 21 which is almost 10-years ago. It has been a journey I can't even compare to anything else in my life, huge highs, huge lows but mostly somewhere in between. It's definitely a lot of hard work and sleepless nights, the Universe has definitely tested my commitment over the years but now that I look back, I'm immensely proud of everything we've achieved and we're exactly where we're meant to be. DTL is ran by the most incredible team of passionate, talented and caring people and I feel gratitude every day. There's nothing I would change because each experience has brought new learnings, new opportunities and ultimately helped DTL become the organisation it is today!

• Like 2
  • Yaaas 1

• Ditch the Label Staff
On 11/6/2021 at 6:01 PM, tristan said:

i'm getting bullied at school what should i do 

Hi @tristan, I'm sorry this is happening to you. As someone who grew up experiencing bullying, I know how lonely and isolating it can feel. But I'm firstly really glad that you found us and this community, I know that our members and mentors will have your back and be here for you so that you don't have to go through it alone. I know a mentor has already reached out to you, but I wanted to tell you that this is not your fault. We know that most people who bully have issues they aren't dealing with in the right way. It could be that they have low self-esteem, difficult home lives, trauma or may be being bullied themselves. Please do not blame yourself or feel like you need to change who you are, because you don't.

You're exactly the person you were born to be, so don't neglect your self-care and the love you have for yourself. Also know that people who bully very rarely only bully one person, quite often they bully several, so it really isn't personal and although this feels heavy at the moment, it will pass and things will get better.

I'll leave our mentors to pick up on practical things you can do, but don't be a stranger. This community is here for you and I'm really glad you're here and a part of it.

• Like 1

• Ditch the Label Staff
On 11/11/2021 at 2:59 AM, Emberfrost12 said:

I like the part at the end of the video where you acknowledge that the bullys also are working through stuff...because as much as i hear about overcoming being bullied, i almost never hear about overcoming being a bully...its always "report bullies"..but what if you're the bully. should you report yourself?

YEEEESS @Emberfrost12, I'm so glad you picked up on that. It's something I feel incredibly passionate about because happy, confident people don't go out of their way to try and drag others down. So if we're ever to prevent bullying we really need to help perpetrators to stop. I think it's really important if anyone ever is bullying others, to find a safe space like this one and to talk openly about what's going on for you and to get help in overcoming those root issues. It takes a lot of strength to open up in this way and our policy is to always be an open and safe space for everyone. 

• Like 2

• Ditch the Label Staff
17 hours ago, WinterPickles said:

If you could pin point a moment when you decided that this is what you wanted to do when and what would it be?

And also...

What inspired you to do this?

Hey @WinterPickles! I was inspired to start DTL because growing up, I really struggled with issues like bullying and mental health, but didn't really have many people to talk to who were going through the same things. I started to talk about my experiences online and had hundreds of people share their experiences with me, so I realised quite early on that something like Ditch the Label was really needed and I felt inspired to help others going through difficult situations. I think that answers both questions! :) 

• Like 2

Does it ever feel like to much stress?

• Like 2

On 11/3/2021 at 4:45 PM, Princess-Lilly said:

hey,

if you were to represent young people or adults, what would you make a change to in this world?

I like this comment

3 hours ago, tristan said:

Report it to a teacher? I'd suggest you make a thread about this ( only if your comfortable) a digital mentor can reply to you! Easier then they will on here, as they don't usually check here, only a thought! Up to you 

• Ditch the Label Staff
3 hours ago, tristan said:

Hello Tristan, I do hope you’re okay.

I am a Community Warden here on the forum, I have tagged a Mentor in who will be able to support you, if this is something that would be helpful to you. They will get in touch as soon as they can. 😊

@Monsoon @Blondie

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tristan said:

Hi Tristan,

I have sent you a private message to support you further. I hope to hear from you soon. Take care. 

• Like 1

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

35 minutes ago, Cai yuxin said:

Hi, could you tell me what is the aim of this website?

It is to meet others, support for yourself and to have fun being in such a awesome community @Harper can say more as I'm busy 😊 

• Ditch the Label Staff
4 hours ago, Cai yuxin said:

Hi, could you tell me what is the aim of this website?

Hey Cai, welcome to the community, hope you are finding everything okay, I am Daisy and I’m a Community Warden here on the forums, ensuring this remains a safe and friendly space for all. 
In regards to your question, which @Liam Hackett can go more in depth in his AMA session for you,  but in an overview; Here on Ditch the Label having this community forum is used to help thrive our mission to help connect individuals together, in return we can build a community and share advice and support, we have mentors on hand should you need support. 

• Like 1

I like the part at the end of the video where you acknowledge that the bullys also are working through stuff...because as much as i hear about overcoming being bullied, i almost never hear about overcoming being a bully...its always "report bullies"..but what if you're the bully. should you report yourself?

• Like 1