Being a third wheel in friendship triangles

Emberfrost12    

So, it seems like all my life I've been a third wheel, always an extra in friendships. I don't even remember having a friend group that wasn't  a threesome. I want to become more than a third wheel, but how?

Hey there,

Thank you for coming to us about this. I'm wondering, thinking about your past experiences of friendships, what has happened to make you feel like you were extra? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

5 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Thank you for coming to us about this. I'm wondering, thinking about your past experiences of friendships, what has happened to make you feel like you were extra? 

usually i've kind of edged my way into friendships that were already there, and if i was doing something else it was like they didnt care or notice

Hey there,

It's interesting that you describe yourself as edging in. I'm wondering, can you tell me a little bit more about how they treat you, and what the good things are about those friendships? 

They treat me fine, but they dont treat me as though im really part of the group. The benifits are that im not expected to always do the same thing, and that i dont have to involve myself to much in their conversations

Hey there,

Ah, okay. Thanks for telling me about the benefits as well. What do you think your next step might be then?