A friend possibly faking a disorder?

I'd made a friend last year, and she only a couple days came out to me about her having social anxiety, ADHD, and being bipolar.

I really, really hate self-diagnosing, especially done by people who barely know the meanings of these words. I didn't confront her about this though, as I didn't want to assume that she actually didn't have these disorders. From what I know, she's a pretty introverted person, but has no problem speaking with people, at least from the outside. She also does fairly average in school, and can focus pretty well on the topic being spoken about. She's never really shown having signs of bipolar, and that's something I really doubt.

I probably do sound like an asshole, but younger teenagers self-diagnosing with no reason really just pisses me off. 

So, people who're experienced in these areas, can you tell me if she really does have these things? And, am I being rude by assuming she doesn't have these things, though I do have proof, being around her for a year. I personally don't think I have any of them, so I don't think I'm experienced enough to tell ;-;

Help would be appreciated!

• Digital Mentor

Hey there,

You raise a really interesting point. Plenty of people do tend to self-diagnose these days; sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong. I think it's important to encourage them to speak with a doctor if they are struggling, as getting the help is the most important thing. I'm wondering, do you know if she is getting the support she needs for her difficulties? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

That sounds so hard for both of you. Maybe call help for her? Or, Talk with anyone close to her ( not her mother ) and put some sort of support in for her as she deserves it. Also, their are multiple helplines that can help her with this? How do you feel about giving her some numbers of support lines to help her through this difficult time? 

12 minutes ago, attackontaetanss said:

She has opened up to me about a toxic mother. And no, as a young teenager, she sadly doesn't have the means to get professional help 😞  

But I'll try my best to support her!

Keep smiling beautiful 

• Digital Mentor
3 hours ago, attackontaetanss said:

She has opened up to me about a toxic mother. And no, as a young teenager, she sadly doesn't have the means to get professional help 😞  

But I'll try my best to support her!

Hey there,

I'm happy that your friend has you supporting them; you sound so helpful and caring, and I'm sure they are very grateful for you. I'm wondering, do you think that she would like to talk with us here at our online support community? We can help her with her mental health and just be someone to talk to. Also, how are you doing today? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e