Neutral pronouns unexisting in some languages

umi ย  ย 

Hey guys, I have a question for those who speak languages that don't have gender neutral pronouns nor names, like mine (portuguese), or anyone who has any ideas.

In my language, we not only just have she/her or he/him pronouns, but almost every word hasย an he/him version or a she/her version, and no neutral version. Literally almost every word. It's very dificult to not misgender myself ahaha.

But, yeah, does anyone has any advice or any idea about what to do in this situation? Appreciate your time โค๏ธ

Hey there,

How are you doing? I'm wondering, do she/her and he/him pronouns match your gender, or do you prefer other pronouns?ย 

I know what you mean about the gendered terms in different languages. Canย I ask, have you done any research online about this? There may be terms out there that most people don't know yet, but are slowly making their way into the language.ย 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Hey!

I forgot to mention,ย I am genderfluid, and my pronouns change almost everyday,ย so sometimes it does match, but another times, when I'm using they/them (like today), it doesn't.

I've searched, but there are very few, and honestly I don't even think they are remotely official nor practical, because they susbtitute the female or male termination for a sound we don't often use in our language, so it sounds weirdly.ย 

I've literally only found one google result for this, and like i said, they aren't practical at all.

I will keep doing my research, but if there is any idea, I'm all ears

Hello there!

I wonder, apart from your boyfriend and friend, have you told anyone else that you're non binary? I guess that for people who know, you could let them know which pronoun you'd prefer on the day you speak with them, and for the neutral term too, hopefully they will be able to put in the effort to use it in your language even though it sounds weird as you say. What do you think? Your boyfriend might have difficulty using the different pronouns as it sounds like he hasn't quite accepted it yet, but hopefully your friend can do it?ย 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e