Kay_shiv    

Hey @Kay_shiv

How are you feeling today? I'm glad to hear that your mom might accept you after some time. Can I ask, how come you think your father will definitely never be accepting? I'm just curious because I've supported some people in a similar situation to you, and they thought the same at first until things changed after some time. From that, I learnt that people can be surprising and can sometimes do something you think they were never capable of. Speak soon. 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

My father is a very religious old Indian man who hates change of any kind. Any time there is a conversation about marriage and I say something like I won't get married, that's usually where the conversation ends. He just chooses to ignore what I said and leaves. What do you think he would do in this situation.

Hello @Kay_shiv

How are you doing today?

Thank you for telling me more about your father's character. I think that it's hard for me to answer accurately as to what your father would do in this situation because I don't know him. I think that the love a parent has for their child is so powerful and can change even the most stubborn of minds. Yes, it can take a long time, but it is possible. I know it's hard to trust the process and think more positively about it, but it can happen. What do you think about this?

I think you are right. I can't tell how my father would react also. And the fact that all the possible outcomes I can think of are negative is really scary to me. Maybe I should wait to finish my education. Would that be a good idea

Hey,

Yeah, it's so hard to predict how someone will react. I think that for anyone who feels like coming out might put them in danger, it's best to wait until you can live alone or stay with someone else. What do you think is best? 

Hey,

How are you doing today? Yeah, I'm curious to know why you feel it is wrong. Do you mean in the sense of wanting to come out but feeling like you have to wait? 

Also, how is it going with your psychologist? 

I went to the psychologist for a different reason then. Now that it is solved i don't see her anymore, I keep in touch though. I feel it's wrong because it feels like I'm lying to me and to people who care of me. 

Hey @Kay_shiv

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying about it feeling wrong. Deep down, we all just want to be able to live authentically, and when we are prevented from doing that to an extent, it can be quite an emotional experience. What do you think about that? 

• 1 month later...

Hey, sorry about the delay.

You are totally right. In the last month I managed to tell my mom... Sort of. But she did not believe me. And i feel really stressed. I have not been able to study at all in the past month and it is very important that i do. I don't know what to do now.

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear that she did not believe you. I'm wondering, how exactly did it go when you told her? Also, I'm curious to know what you mean when you said you 'sort of' told her, so it would be good if you could tell me a little more about that.

How are you feeling today? 

I don't remember how the conversation started . I think we started talking about movies and the conversation somehow drifted to the topic of clothing. I dont wear dresses, I don't even own one. And she said are you gay in a rhetorical way, and I said yes. Then she asked me a few uncomfortable questions and came to a conclusion herself that I was not serious about it even after I said I was not joking.

Hey there,

Thank you for telling me more about how it went with telling her. It sounds like she is in denial about what you said which does happen to some parents, but then there's also that element of just thinking that your child is going through a phase and trying to jump on a bandwagon. I'm wondering, do you think it could be good to write her a letter that she can read alone to show her how serious you are? What do you think? 

Writing a letter sounds like a good idea. But I am trying to get into an MBA right now and I need their support. So maybe I will stay away from this topic for a while. It feels like I'm conning them into helping me, but I don't know what else to do.

17 hours ago, Kay_shiv said:

Writing a letter sounds like a good idea. But I am trying to get into an MBA right now and I need their support. So maybe I will stay away from this topic for a while. It feels like I'm conning them into helping me, but I don't know what else to do.

Hey there,

I'm curious to know, how come you feel like you're conning them into helping you? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm going through the same thing as you. I'm a non-binary lesbian and I grew up in a third world country. What I did was I slowly started saying gayer things and commenting more on how hot other girls were. My mom kinda just asked me then kicked me out so do make sure you have a place to go but ya know if they can't accept it that's their problem

Hey lovely, thank you with all kindness for telling us about your story, I am sorry for the way things are right now, keep reaching out as we care about your mental and emotional wellbeing is very important to us here at Ditch the Label ❤ 

I got mixed emotions from my mother when I came out as Trans ( FTM ), she judged me for it and wanted to kick me out as the house is religious and me coming out as gay is apparently wrong on her side of things,  when it's not. Taking baby steps on telling her is all you can do, sorry to hear your dad is scared to announce to, if you some what did tell your mum, Just to be cautious, have you got somewhere to live if things went wrong? Big hugs 🫂  Jess ❤ 

1 hour ago, fifie said:

Hey, I'm going through the same thing as you. I'm a non-binary lesbian and I grew up in a third world country. What I did was I slowly started saying gayer things and commenting more on how hot other girls were. My mom kinda just asked me then kicked me out so do make sure you have a place to go but ya know if they can't accept it that's their problem

Hey @fifie

Welcome to our community and thank you for sharing your tip. I just want to check, are you safe at the moment? I'm concerned after what you said about being kicked out, and I want to know, where are you living at the moment? Are you safe?