Help!!

poosheen ย  ย 

So I need help with coming out as bi. I am currently 13 and I want to come out to my mom. My dad is a little homophobic, but they are divorced so if I came out to her I know she wouldn't tell him.ย  The only people I've told are my close friends, sister, and cousin.ย  We've talked about LGBT+ stuff before, so I know she is ok talking about it. I feel like I'm lying toย her and keep almost spilling it. How should I do it in a way that she won't freak out?ย 

Hey @poosheen

I'm glad to hear that your mom is okay with talking about LGBT+ stuff;ย this is a sign that she will be fine with your news. What do you think? With coming out, I think that it can work quite well if you write a letter for someone to read alone. By reading it alone, if they do freak out, they have time to calm down before taking to you. Also, you could time it so that when they read through it, you can be out of the house. Let me know what you reckon. Speak soon ๐Ÿ™‚

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

3 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey @poosheen

I'm glad to hear that your mom is okay with talking about LGBT+ stuff;ย this is a sign that she will be fine with your news. What do you think? With coming out, I think that it can work quite well if you write a letter for someone to read alone. By reading it alone, if they do freak out, they have time to calm down before taking to you. Also, you could time it so that when they read through it, you can be out of the house. Let me know what you reckon. Speak soon ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah, I think that sounds good, thank you! I'll let you know how it goes ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

ย 

"Hi Mom,

The reason I wrote this to you is because I need to tell you something important.ย Iโ€™m bi.

This is not just a phase. I know because Iโ€™ve taken some time to realize and accept it. I donโ€™t want to feel like Iโ€™m hiding things from you constantly and want you to know the truth. I hope I am able to rely on you for support and guidance throughout my life. I think it would be nice if we wrote to each other like this or talked face-to-face more often and hope we have a better relationship. Please donโ€™t out me to anyone else, I trust you and thatโ€™s why I am telling you. Thank you for taking the time to read this."

ย 

Any suggestions? I also need some info links if you know any helpful websites.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by poosheen

Hey @poosheen

That's brilliant - well done :). What do you think of it? I think it's great.

Also, you might find these links helpful. Let me know if you find them useful:

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/top-11-tips-for-coming-out-as-lesbian-gay-or-bi/

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/my-parents-didnt-react-well-to-me-coming-out/

ย 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e