Childine - Whats it like?

-echo- Β  Β 

I've been meaning to talk to them on the phone for a while,Β  either on the web chat or phoning them. But what scares me most is them calling the police if I'm in a REALLY bad situation. Would they do that? And honestly, what are they like to phone at all? I've talked online and they were nice, but I only phoned once and they couldnt talk to me cause it was after midnight and they only talk to "unsafe" people after midnight. I wasn't doing brill, I would have probably been classed as unsafe, but I was too scared to say it so I never talked to anyone in the end. I want to talk to them again, but would it be any good? Are they any good?

Hello @-echo-

Welcome to the Ditch the Label community. My name is Monsoon and I'm a digital mentor here which means that I give advice to our members.Β 

I've always heard very good things about Childline. I know that they put a lot of time and effort into training their staff to make sure that they help young people in the best way possible. They are really friendly on the phone and easy to talk to, and they always make sure that they do everything they can to create a safe space when talkingΒ to young people.Β I completely get what you are saying about being too scared to tell someone if you're classed as unsafe. I just want you to know that you can talk to us about absolutely anything, at any time of the day. Can I ask, is everything okay for you at the moment?Β 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

50 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hello @-echo-

Welcome to the Ditch the Label community. My name is Monsoon and I'm a digital mentor here which means that I give advice to our members.Β 

I've always heard very good things about Childline. I know that they put a lot of time and effort into training their staff to make sure that they help young people in the best way possible. They are really friendly on the phone and easy to talk to, and they always make sure that they do everything they can to create a safe space when talkingΒ to young people.Β I completely get what you are saying about being too scared to tell someone if you're classed as unsafe. I just want you to know that you can talk to us about absolutely anything, at any time of the day. Can I ask, is everything okay for you at the moment?Β 

That all sounds very helpful, thank you

49 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Can I ask, is everything okay for you at the moment?Β 

Yeah, recently things have looked up quite a bit. Now that I'm doing alright, I want to set myself up with a bunch of resources incase things fall back somewhat

Hey -echo-

I'm glad to hear that things have looked up quite a bit recently and that you're doing alright. Can I ask, when you say fall back, what do you mean?Β 

On 7/16/2021 at 7:01 PM, Monsoon said:

Hey -echo-

I'm glad to hear that things have looked up quite a bit recently and that you're doing alright. Can I ask, when you say fall back, what do you mean?Β 

get worse mental health and stuff, go backwards mental health wise. I think I'll be fine though. Things are on the up

Hey @-echo-

Ah, okay. Thank you for telling me a little bit more about what you meant. I'm wondering, what has helped you to feel like things are looking up recently?

Remember, if you want to speak to us privately, you can also click the 'Confidential Support' button at the top of this page, and you can talk to us about absolutely anything.Β 

15 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey @-echo-

Ah, okay. Thank you for telling me a little bit more about what you meant. I'm wondering, what has helped you to feel like things are looking up recently?

Remember, if you want to speak to us privately, you can also click the 'Confidential Support' button at the top of this page, and you can talk to us about absolutely anything.Β 

I've been looking into gender and stuff, how my transition is going to go, when I can start hormones, and thats made me a little more hopeful

I'll keep that in mind, thank you!

Hey,

I'm glad that looking into your transition is helping you to feel a little more hopeful. I'm just wondering, is there anything else that you'd like support with right now? I'm cautious of the possibility that you might not want to open up more about what you mentioned in your first comment when you talked about speaking to Childline. Can I ask, is it to do with the transition and your mental health, or is there something else? This is a safe space and you can talk to us about absolutely anything.Β 

My dad is pretty ill, which isnt pleasant, but I'm coping alright with that. I've got into therapy which is helping with everything as well. The worst bits of my mental health are all to do with gender, but even then I've started working with a charity who are helping me get referred to the gender clinic and start transitioning and all of that good stuff. But yeah, on the whole, I dont think theres anything that I need extra support with right now

Hey @-echo-

Sorry to hear that your dad is pretty ill - do you think he is going to be okay? It's good that you've got support from therapy and the charity; it sounds like you're doing a lot of things to help get yourself to where you want to be which is lovely to hear about. We are always here if you need anything.Β 

We think he'll be alright. He's already lost his hearing in one ear and lost his voice due to similar stuff, so this is gonna be comparatively not that bad, you know? He might lose any control of the side of his face, it'll go all limp and slumped, and that'll be permanent, so we just need to hope that it wont happen. But its a relatively slim chance. We can hope it wont happen.Β 

Hey @-echo-

Thank you for telling me more about what's going on for you. I can imagine that it's hard to have this hanging over you, but I'm glad to hear that you are coping alright with it. How is it going with your therapy and working with the charity?Β 

Therapy is helping, I've been moved up a tier which has helped a lot, and I had my first group session with the group which was really lovely, there were a lot of lovely people

Hey -echo-,

Ah, okay. Is that with CAMHS then? I'm glad you're getting the support you need. Did you take anything useful away from your group today? If so, would you like to share it?Β 

28 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey -echo-,

Ah, okay. Is that with CAMHS then? I'm glad you're getting the support you need. Did you take anything useful away from your group today? If so, would you like to share it?Β 

Yeah, its not called CAMHS but its the same service that was renamed in my region.

The group was just really fun. We didnt do any mental health stuff, but I felt comfy on the whole, and it was nice to be able to chill with people like me. I met my ex for the first time in 2 years which was funky but went well, and I feel like I can be friends with him again without it being awkward. It was just nice, helped with confidence a bit, I guess :))

Hey -echo,

I'm glad that you had a really good time with the group :). Is there a particular focus for the group sessions or is it more general? Also, that's good that you feel like youΒ can be friends with your ex again. How is your dad doing today?Β 

Its just a fun place to hang out in a safe environment. Its one of two places where people use my name, which helps me feel more comfy about my name. My dad is doing well. He rode a bike today, for the first time since november. He's trying to get as fit as possible before his next surgery cause its pretty long. He'll get through it, he had an 18 hour one a few months ago, so this is much shorter, but he still needs to be fit for it

Hey -echo-

How are you feeling today?Β I'm glad that you find the environment fun and safe - that's really important for a group setting like therapy. Also, it's good to hear that your dad is doing well. Is he currently staying in the hospital or is he at home?Β 

Β 

I'm feeling decent today, yeah :)) Thanks for asking!

My dad is at home at the moment, he goes in on the day of the surgery. He'll be in for like, a week after? They need to make sure it doesnt go wrong

Hey -echo-

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling decent πŸ™‚

It's good that your dad is getting fit so he'sΒ ready for his operation. Will this be his last one or could there be more ahead?Β 

Who knows at this point. This will be the last one for this cancer, but he's had 4, 3 in the last 2 years, so I wouldnt be suprised if another pops up and he needs more surgery. But in theory, this is the last one andΒ it'll get rid of the cancer

Hey -echo-

How are you feeling today?Β Hopefully, this is the last operation he needs for his cancer. Do you know at which point you will find out if it has gotten rid of the cancer completely?

Β 

I'm feeling pretty okay now :))

We'll probably find out a week or two after. But this is probably one from before, that they thought they got rid of, but here it is, so even if we think its gone it could come back

But hopefully some time in the middle of august we'll find out its gone, and it'll never come back

Hey -echo-

That's good to hear :). I will keep my fingers crossed that you and your family get the news that you all must be longing to hear. Let us know how it all goes. I'm wondering, is there anything else you'd like support with for now? We are always here.Β