Ask Me Anything: Mia Kang, Model, Author, TV Host & Activist

Mia Kang    

Question

• VIP (Public Figure)

This AMA is now over, thank you to everyone that submitted questions and a huge thanks to Mia for joining us!

Hello everyone! 😃

I’m Mia Kang - a model, author, tv host and activist. I try to use my platform to raise awareness and discuss different issues like racial injustices, eating disorder recovery, body image issues, mental health (in particular anxiety and depression) and feminism. DTL and I have had a long relationship and as someone who was bullied and cyber bullied in school, I truly believe all the work that they do is not only important but necessary. DTL and I have partnered on projects together in the past but they have also supported me and helped me through things I have personally had to deal with, both online and offline. I’m so proud to become an ambassador for an organisation that I not only wholeheartedly support, but they truly practice what they preach. 

Feel free to ask me anything! I’m an open book, and am a big believer in talking about things to break social stigmas. 

Xx

Best,

Mia Kang / @MiaKang

Mia-Kang-Signature-Cover copy.jpg

• Like 3
  • Yaaas 2
  • Thanks 1

• VIP (Public Figure)
19 hours ago, theblueintrovert6 said:

I'm an introvert and I'm ugly. I have a hard time trying to fit in. I hate looking at myself in the mirror. I don't know what to do with my social life. 

Hi! I'm so sorry you feel this way, I'm giving you a big digital hug right now.

I hear you and I see you. I woke up everyday for 27 years and hated what I saw in the mirror, heck I still wake up some days and can't stand looking at myself and don't want to be seen by the world. The problem isnt with what we look like, in fact it has nothing to do with what you look like. Also, believe it or not I am an introvert too, and I have major social anxiety. I don't even like answering phone calls it makes me so uncomfortable! I can also tell you that youre not ugly, and you dont need to try and 'fit in'. You're unique and thats amazing. Theres no one out there like you and thats such an incredible thing :)

sending you loads of love xxxxxxx

Staff edit: @theblueintrovert6 thank you for your question, one of our mentors will drop you a private message to pick up on this 😊

Edited by Harper
  • Like 3

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 6/3/2021 at 5:31 AM, Liam Hackett said:

Welcome to the community Mia 🥰!

My question: if you were President for a day, what 1 thing would you do/change?

WHAT A QUESTION!

Free healthcare and education.

Dont ask me how.

xx

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Yaaas 1

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 6/3/2021 at 3:35 AM, Zayn said:

hi mia, really inspired by your post and feed. what has been your biggest highlight in your career? and what advice would you give to someone looking to build a platform and be visible?

Hi Zayn! Thanks so much for the kindness, I really appreciate it!

I have quite a few highlights that are important to me in different respects - the first time I was in Vogue when I was 17, I did a shoot for Chanel in Paris, the first time I was in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit, my first US magazine cover for SELF. All milestones I never thought I would reach, and hopefully there will be many more!

When it comes to building a platform, I would say be authentic! Stay true to yourself! Be yourself! It can be really easy to get sucked in to posting what everyone else is posting, or what gets likes and followers. But in the long run I would chose integrity and individuality over likes and followers any day. Don't be afraid to speak up, use your voice, challenge things and stand for something. :)

xx

• Like 1
  • Yaaas 2

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 6/3/2021 at 3:42 AM, Zayn said:

another q, what is it like being a model? you always hear mixed messages about it, sometimes its meant to be really glamorous and other times really stressful, what's the reality?

Its not glamorous haha. Its actually far from it. You stand in casting lines with hundreds of other models, you dont get free clothes from shoots (thats a myth), you often shoot for free or little, its highly competitive, it  crushes your self esteem at times, you constantly have your "flaws" pointed out to you and you have to be ok with being criticised, it can be really lonely, and it can be a really short or volatile career choice. But it has its perks too! You get to travel and see the world, every day at work is different and exciting, you can make great money, you can create beautiful images and express yourself, you meet great people all the time. 

But the idea that models just get free clothes and fly first class covered in diamonds sipping champagne, isnt quite true haha. 

xx

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 6/3/2021 at 4:49 AM, DanTheMan said:

What's it like writing a book? and how long did it take? 

Animated GIF

2 years.

It was an emotionally exhausting process for me because I was so transparent and vulnerable with what I wrote about. I had to relive a lot of past traumas. It was quite cathartic, but a lot more work than I thought it was. 

xx

• Like 3

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 6/3/2021 at 3:55 AM, bingabong said:

Welcome Mia!! What is it like hosting a TV show?? What are your tips for building up the confidence to do something like that? I'm terrified of public speaking but want to get better x

It was amazing!!!! It was a whole new set of challenges for me as SPY GAMES was the first show I hosted. 

I suggest starting small. Stand up and give a little toast next time youre having dinner or drinks with your mates. Confidence doesnt happen overnight, theres no switch, magic button or secret. Its built, its accumulates, and it fluctuates.

xx

• Like 3

Welcome Mia!! What is it like hosting a TV show?? What are your tips for building up the confidence to do something like that? I'm terrified of public speaking but want to get better x

I had another question, what's your favourite meal and your favourite cuisine?

4 minutes ago, Mia Kang said:

Hi Jake!!! Thanks for the follow and the support and the kind words! I really appreciate it!

I absolutely find it tiring, I have burnouts more often than I would like. I do my best to regulate my boundaries - when to put down my phone, when to unplug and when I need to increase my privacy settings because I just don't have the capacity to process how so many people feel and what they think about what I post. It's also really important for me to draw a distinction between being an instagram user and a contributor as I can easily blur the lines between the two and just get lost in rabbit holes and caught up in comment section debates. By far the most exhausting part is the hate, the trolls, the unsolicited opinions and the negativity. Its really easy to say "just ignore it!" but even if you ignore it it still affects you to some degree and I'm not going to pretend it doesnt. I have quite severe anxiety that can really flare up because of too much social media so I am still learning how to regulate and enforce my own boundaries. 

I have a really random schedule, every day and every week looks different, which may seem aaaaamaaazing but it comes with its downsides too.

Load of love Jake!! xx

omg thank you for replying @Mia Kang 🥰

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mia Kang said:

Hiiii! Thank you so much! So I say that I am 'body confident' as I believe the term 'body positive' should be reserved for bodies more marginalised than mine, but I would definitely say that I wasn't always this way. 

I developed eating disorders at 13 and started modelling. Since then I was told to be a certain size and weight and anything outside of that was not acceptable, not beautiful and wouldnt book me any jobs. I spent most of my life torturing myself to conform to those standards. Only when I was 27 did I break out of this cycle and realise that I need to respect my body because its amazing! I was the skinniest I had ever been but I was miserable, unhealthy and depressed. I thought that my weight was directly correlated to my happiness and my worthiness but I was so wrong. My health and my happiness is more important than my body image and adhering to diet culture. I am super proud of the woman that I am regardless of my size and my appearance.

You don't need to feel nervous because summer is here. Your body deserves love, acceptance and respect regardless of what you look like. You are worthy.  All bodies are summer bodies and if you feel good then f*ck what anyone else thinks!

(sorry again ditch the label for the language! >.<)

Thank you so much for replying @Mia Kang !!! I really needed to hear this. 💚  

• Like 1

• Ditch the Label Staff
4 minutes ago, Mia Kang said:

But the idea that models just get free clothes and fly first class covered in diamonds sipping champagne

Everything I thought I knew has all been a lie 😂

• Haha 2

Staff-Account.png

I'm bisexual and I don't know how to tell my dad. Any advice?

You could be like “have you ever heard of the lgbtq+  And Mabel be like “how do you feel about it?” And then see if it is the right time or not!

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Lels said:

I'm bisexual and I don't know how to tell my dad. Any advice?

Hey,

I saw that you posted a topic about this, so I'll respond there :)

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e